• Advertisement

? On concord grapes

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

? On concord grapes

Postby bentstick » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I have asked at a couple other forums and will pose it here,Do the grapes picked still on the bunch continue to ripen or are they as ripe as they will ever get? I did a web search and the answers were both,some say yes,some say no,what you say!

Thanx :beer:
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Re: ? On concord grapes

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

That's as ripe as they are going to get, sugar and acid-wise. Of course, they could dehydrate, and enzymes will start to break things down as well. At our vineyard we like to have the bunches go through the destemmer within 6hrs of being picked. Some start within 90minutes.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby bentstick » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanx ZZ, I am trying my first go round on fresh grapes,we are thinking of putting in grape and Muscadines in the spring for the future, next 2-4 yrs, what is your opinion?
It is what you make it
bentstick

Equipment type: 4" column,3 perf plates with a 2 plate and a 1 plate add on sections
Lm/vm hybrid with up to 3 bubble cap section add ons

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Not very well versed in varieties other than vinifera. Only thing I'm sure of is that you want to prep the soil right now for planting this coming spring. Grapes are interesting little suckers, just begging to be made into wine. In an ideal world the winemaker does very little in terms of additions, and is mostly an overseer. Rule of thumb is nature does 70%of it, the vineyard manager 25, and the winemaker 5.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Miscellaneous