• Advertisement

My wormwood made it!

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

My wormwood made it!

Postby sugarcreek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:49 am

Last summer I bought three roman wormwood plants from Perennial Pleasures. We had a pretty horrible winter here in the midwest and I was worried the plants wouldn't make it even though they are purported to be hardy to zone 3. This morning while checking into my gardens I came across this:

IMG_20140407_092348.jpg

Of the three plants this has the most shoots by far. Im hoping the others will be popping up soon.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Re: My wormwood made it!

Postby skow69 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:43 am

Congratulations. Real life Pontica, fresh from the garden. Let us know how the product turns out. I love green booze.
Distilling at 120f and 100 torr.
"The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas and throw away the bad ones."
Linus Pauling
skow69

Equipment type: Multi-thumper 5 gallon Corney keg vacuum pot still.
2" X 50" borosilicate offset VM/LM with SPP and red pumi-rock.

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 am

Mine came back a couple of months ago. Deer don't mind keeping it mowed back to an inch however.
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby sugarcreek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am

Absinthe is on my (from purchased "gns" I'm embarassed to say) distilling punch list but I'll be buying from Pacific Botanicals rather than raiding my humble garden plot.

ZZT - Sorry to hear about your gardeners.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby myles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:48 am

zedzedtop wrote:Mine came back a couple of months ago. Deer don't mind keeping it mowed back to an inch however.

Does the flavour come through in the meat? :lol:
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby zedzedtop » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 pm

I actually just found out that I'm allowed to take these deer if in season and with permit/license etc.

SC, get the grand ww going?
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby myles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm

I suspect that in your situation I probably would not do so myself :lol:

I know that when I used to shoot the odd hare for the pot I wouldn't shoot my own as I liked to see them running around, but would shoot them on neighbours land.

Deer are so infrequent in my area that I am sure SHMBO would be most upset if I took one.
myles

Equipment type: Hybrid copper / stainless 35 litre pot still, with 2" reflux column option. Propylene glycol double boiler. 160 litre HDPE fermenters and mash tun.
All copper pot still "Rosie" in development.

Postby Kapea » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:38 am

Looks good SC! You'll be cutting an ear off by the end of summer, no doubt. :!: :wink:
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby sugarcreek » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 am

@ZZT said:
SC, get the grand ww going?

Last year was a dismal failure. Tried to start with self-sterilized dirt (horrible stench in the house) and ended up with a yellow fungal growth. Just gave up. I'm about ready to start some sunflowers inside and will give it another go w/ commercial starting soil and a growlight. I'll keep you up to date.

@Kapea said:
You'll be cutting an ear off by the end of summer, no doubt.

I gotta tell you, I like the idea of absinthe, I really do. And that's after a HORRIBLE bought with another anise flavored beveraged (Ouzo) in college after which even the slightest whiff of licorice made me queezy. However, it's not a spirit I can sit down and sip. I find (the horror, the horror!) I mainly keep it around for sazeracs. Im sure Vincent wouldnt approve.
sugarcreek

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I have used Pro-Mix for years for seed starting with great results. I pre-wet it as I break up a part of the bale for use.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Return to Miscellaneous