• Advertisement

whiskey aroma

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

whiskey aroma

Postby kekedog13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:48 pm

OOH That smell ! A friend saves bottles for me. Gave me one of Weller's Special Reserve. The nose of this spirit is something to desire ! Is it vanilla ? Caramel ? I love it and want mine to have that. Any insight ?
Yahoo Mountain Dew! It'll tickle you're innards!
kekedog13

Equipment type: 15.5 gallon keg, LM/VM T-Boka on top of a 38" X 2" column,32" Liebig

Re: whiskey aroma

Postby just sayin' » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Weller is a bourbon, so a minimum of 51% corn. No rye, Weller's signature flavor profile comes from red winter wheat. The grain bill has enough malted barley to convert the starch in the whole grain bill. Age the resulting distillate in new white oak barrels. Corn/ red winter wheat/ malted barley age on oak will be enough to get you a nose in the ball park...working out the proportions will be the trick.

Good luck! The aroma a of whiskey/ whisky is a huge part of the experience. Nose in a Glencairn glass of great whisky brings a big stupid looking grin to my face every time.
just sayin'

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Bourbon is aged on new, charred, white oak barrels. The degree of charring is another variable to the nose and taste...
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby dutchmancreek » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 am

Weller's 12 year old is a very good wheated bourbon, that is relatively inexpensive...I try to keep some on hand. I pretty sure this is from the very same mash bill as the "legendary" Pappy Van Winkle. It's very likely that barrels of what will be Pappy are selected from the Weller barrel stocks and subjected to further aging.
(Designated as ne'er do well)

"we deal in lead, friend"

Whiskey River take my mind

----------------------------
dutchmancreek

Postby Smaug » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:11 pm

SD has a french oak dominoes that install a wonderful vinilla adjunct.
Smaug

Equipment type: If I'm being honest,,,,the entire StillDragon arsenal

Postby zedzedtop » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Not just same mash bill - it's the same juice as it flows out of the still at Buffalo Trace. The SR not too hard to find around here. The 12 always seems to sell out before I can get any. I do have one unopened in the back of the closet though....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Return to Miscellaneous