• Advertisement

Aging Whiskey, Whisky or Scotch

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Re: Aging Whiskey, Whisky or Scotch

Postby okie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:05 am

Mud wrote:
okie wrote:... I have never been able to wait that long....

If you make a lot, far more than you can drink in a reasonable time, this becomes very simple.

Ha ha ha :roflmao:

MUD, My situation is I have a huge project I'm working on that takes all of my spare time and money so I only do this hobby when it's bad weather and I can't do that project. In a year I should have that wrapped up and I can devote more time to this hobby.
Never Trust a Man That Doesn't Drink
okie

Postby okie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:19 am

I was gifted a brand new French Oak 20L barrel. It's very well made and thick. It's toasted. I know it's going to sit for a year and then I will do my best to fill it with 62 ABV single malt and I'll let it sit undisturbed for a few years, It is wrapped in shrink wrap at the moment.

My question is this, how would you condition this barrel? It's going to be expensive to buy 20L of whiskey and since I don't drink American whiskey it would be something I would give away anyway and I think that is what I'll end up doing.

On the microwave thing. I have read quite a lot about microwaves, which is a radar unit actually and the first ones were called radar ranges, and what they do to food molecules when they heat them up. Russia did a study back when they came out and banned them from their country saying they were a health hazard. I don't own one which is partly because of that issue and partly because I lived on a boat for 25 years and quite frankly, didn't have the space for one and when out at sea or at an anchorage I didn't have the electrical power to run one.

I tried the heating cooling cycle aging process by putting a jar of single malt in a pot of water and heating it slowly that way. I took it up to 140F. It worked very well and I satisfied my curiosity about fast aging. I'm on the barrel now.

How would you season that barrel?
okie

Postby punkin » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Doesn't take much effort or expense to make 20l of barrell strength ujsm

It's very drinkable too after ageing and your friends would be happy friends.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:06 pm

If it's French oak I'd probably get my hands on some fruit to run through the press and do 20L of some kind of wine. Or, as I've mentioned with French dominoes/staves a quaffing mead goes great - for a barrel I'd probably do something stronger than a quaffing mead though, like a sack mead or something. Plum wine would be another good one, or of course you could just use grapes. I reckon a mix of syrah (sorry, "shuh-razz" for the Aussies on the forum...), tannat, malbec and tempranillo would work wonders personally...

My .02 HTH
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby okie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:47 am

punkin wrote:Doesn't take much effort or expense to make 20l of barrell strength ujsm

It's very drinkable too after ageing and your friends would be happy friends.

Punkin, that's a great idea. Thanks
okie

Postby okie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:51 am

Mangamahu Moonshine wrote:If it's French oak I'd probably get my hands on some fruit to run through the press and do 20L of some kind of wine. Or, as I've mentioned with French dominoes/staves a quaffing mead goes great - for a barrel I'd probably do something stronger than a quaffing mead though, like a sack mead or something. Plum wine would be another good one, or of course you could just use grapes. I reckon a mix of syrah (sorry, "shuh-razz" for the Aussies on the forum...), tannat, malbec and tempranillo would work wonders personally...

My .02 HTH

I have French oak that is toasted staves that I aged with wine for 6 months and then did a finishing with that. It makes a great tasting single malt in my opinion but not one I wish to drink much of. Therefore turning the 20L into that doesn't work for me. I also seasoned some in American whiskey and tried that and in my opinion that made the better of the two oaks especially if I do both.
okie

Postby okie » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:24 am

Is Wagner's cracked corn bird feed ok to use in a ujsm whiskey?

That seems to be what I can find near me.
okie

Postby Mangamahu Moonshine » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:09 pm

okie wrote:
Mangamahu Moonshine wrote:If it's French oak I'd probably get my hands on some fruit to run through the press and do 20L of some kind of wine. Or, as I've mentioned with French dominoes/staves a quaffing mead goes great - for a barrel I'd probably do something stronger than a quaffing mead though, like a sack mead or something. Plum wine would be another good one, or of course you could just use grapes. I reckon a mix of syrah (sorry, "shuh-razz" for the Aussies on the forum...), tannat, malbec and tempranillo would work wonders personally...

My .02 HTH

I have French oak that is toasted staves that I aged with wine for 6 months and then did a finishing with that. It makes a great tasting single malt in my opinion but not one I wish to drink much of. Therefore turning the 20L into that doesn't work for me. I also seasoned some in American whiskey and tried that and in my opinion that made the better of the two oaks especially if I do both.

That's the beauty of it all, in many ways I think, that there are different strokes for different folks.

Hey our sigs are quite similar lol...
There is no failure, only an increasing gradient in the learning curve. Nothing worth doing comes easy.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink booze or eat pork.
Mangamahu Moonshine

Postby okie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 am

Hey MM,

I noticed your sign and I like the added pork saying.

I agree about the beauty of making different tasting scotch and I do like the wine finishes. My thing is this is a 20L barrel and that's a lot of scotch to drink. :D
My wine finish will be smaller allotments.
okie

Postby Tracker » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:28 pm

My thing is this is a 20L barrel and that's a lot of scotch to drink. :D

That's not a lot if you like Scotch :?

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby Mud » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 pm

Take heart. You won't have too much. You will lose plenty before it's done in the barrel. You won't get nearly that much for all your hard work. :?
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby zedzedtop » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Tracker wrote:
My thing is this is a 20L barrel and that's a lot of scotch to drink. :D

That's not a lot if you like Scotch :?

Cheers.

:)
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby okie » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 am

Mud wrote:Take heart. You won't have too much. You will lose plenty before it's done in the barrel. You won't get nearly that much for all your hard work. :?

Mud, so true. That's why I'm shifting away from barrels. My brother tells me that barrels in high humidity areas lose alcohol and in low humidity areas lose water. I'm in the desert officially and my average humidity is about 20-30% with single digits at times.

I might fare ok.
okie

Postby alanmies » Thu May 12, 2016 1:00 am

First marinade oak slabs with sherry for few weeks. Then charring with torch.
Put all together with 60 ABV liquid in the jar.
Change the temperature weekly from fridge to room temperature.
You will have after six months barrel proof whiskey.
Believe me, it works also with sugar mash.
alanmies

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous