• Advertisement

Where do Youens get your Rye ?

If you need something maybe someone has found it already. Look here. If you know where supplies are in your area share your knowledge.

Where do Youens get your Rye ?

Postby Pop Larkin » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Well, I guess the tital about says it all :D

I want to try a Bourbon grain bill to see how close I can get. I have been doing mainly corn or corn with barley, but its been years since I did the Corn, Barley & Rye bill & I cant remember where I got the rye from. :? :? :? :?

ThanksForAnyHelp POP
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Re: Where do Youens get your Rye ?

Postby DavidWatkins » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Well, I live in an area with a farm or two scattered about. Near planting time or harvest time, I check craigslist. Seems there's always somebody who bought too much seed or wants to make a small profit on small quantities. I pay $6-$7 per bushel, but the guy I bought from last time would love to sell me a ton for $200 if I'd just bring my truck around the farm sometime. It is more than they'd get selling in bulk, but harder to find five hundred who want a bushel than it is to find one company who wants five hundred bushels...

Speaking of, it's about time I go see about barley... Rye harvest isnt untill July here.
DavidWatkins

Postby sugarcreek » Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm done messing with rye. I get mine here now.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby zedzedtop » Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Does the flaked rye help matters? Rye gels at the conversion temps, so why the need for flaked? See my thread on rye trials....

It's in most health-food-ish stores in bulk bins if you only want a few pounds. I got a couple 50lb sacks of organic online for ~$20/sack. 'Free' shipping from azurestandard....
'Bubble cap plates are better for batch distillation than perforated plates' - Benjamin Franklin

Fortune cookie: Your whole family are well
zedzedtop

Equipment type: 25G pot, gas or 4500w
pot head or 4'' 3plate bubbler, cm

Postby likkerluvver » Tue May 28, 2013 4:20 pm

25kg sack of Winter rye, less than $14 from the feedstore. 25kg sack of Rye malt, less than $65 from the LHBS
LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.

likkerluvver

Equipment type: 3" pot, 4" bubbler

Postby DavidWatkins » Tue May 28, 2013 6:46 pm

likkerluvver wrote:25kg sack of Winter rye, less than $14
25kg sack of Rye malt, less than $65

Oh dear, I hope that $14 sack doesn't get wet then sit in a 70 degree room, being turned every day or so.... If it does, I definitely hope you don't put it all in an old clothes dryer you got free on Craigslist. that has been lined with window screen held in place with pop rivets, and hope to dry it out. You might accidentally rob the malting companies of their $40 and the LHBS of their $1 :doh: . Worse, you might not malt 100% of it and we all know you need 100% malt to make good whiskey right :wink: ?

Under no circumstances should you place a tray of that in the oven and allow it to caramelize. That is even worse, now you might be stealing $50 or more instead of just $40.

Rubbermaid totes to hold water and grain for soaking $9
Canvas tarps to put under the wet grain and make turning easier $15
Roll of screen $4
Used clothes dryer $Free-$50

Not paying through the nose - Priceless.
DavidWatkins

Postby FullySilenced » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Dryer Photo's Pweeeese and your running the dryer on HIGH... or just Air?
FullySilenced

Postby likkerluvver » Wed May 29, 2013 7:03 am

likkerluvver wrote:25kg sack of Winter rye, less than $14 from the feedstore. 25kg sack of Rye malt, less than $65 from the LHBS

My 25kg sacks of winter rye come clean and dry from the feedstore, are stored in airtight plastic containers in a cold room @15*C. This is perfect for un-malted use and in a rye-style UJSSM. My 25kg sacks of rye-malt come clean and dry from the LHBS, are stored in airtight plastic containers in a cold room @15*C. It is always ready for malted use.

I do not malt my own grain - though I admire the dedication of those who do. When I need rye-malt I buy it, and I always have it in stock. :D

I, like many others here, have spent more on equipment than I'll ever save at the liquor stores. It is unfortunate that some others' lives are so empty that they have time to ridicule - knowing few or none of the facts. :screwy: :roflmao:
LL
Having fun stillin' seriously..... This antique engine runs best on high octane.

likkerluvver

Postby likkerluvver » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am

FullySilenced wrote:Dryer Photo's Pweeeese and your running the dryer on HIGH... or just Air?

If that was for me, I'm sorry but I can't help you - since I do not do my own malting. :(

You might ask DW. He seems to have all the answers.
LL

likkerluvver

Postby punkin » Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I didn't take the post by David Watkins as riduculing anyone, just an attempt to introduce some humour to a post. I might be wrong, but i believe the post to be sincere and helpful.

You may have done yourself and the forum a disservice if he takes offence at your post LL and decides not to share his detailed process.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby FullySilenced » Wed May 29, 2013 5:20 pm

LL i thought he was just be humorous in his offering of a way to malt the rye with spending the extra 50 bucks i realize it as offensive ...

screened clothes dryer idea might be fun as i got lots of old dryers from our apt building they get left by college students to thrown out when nothing is wrong with em...
FullySilenced

Postby Pop Larkin » Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for your help guys !!!!

ZedZed. Is what you buy ........... "Azure Farm Rye Berries, Organic" ?

Im taking it that what we would use is called "berries" as apposed to "grain" ?

BloodyTerminology POP
"It's an old trick but it just might work"
Pop Larkin

Equipment type: 100 cup coffee urn Pot Still with "RumBull" style Scotch Sankey head.

Postby likkerluvver » Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 am

DW,
:oops: I try not to write when I’m sleep-deprived, but Insomnia has the effect of making me see the glass as being half empty, not half full. I initially thought your comments were disdainful condescension, written by a “rectal orifice”, but I can now re-read them as acerbic humour. I think I may have been acting as a pen-wielding (keyboard-wielding?!?) vigilante when I reacted. If that’s the case, then I’m the “rectal orifice” and I owe you an apology.

Back on track:

Pop,
Around here the type of grain you need is called ‘Winter Rye”. Planted in the fall, it is harvested mid summer the following year. It looks like barley, but has a darker-coloured husk. It is also as clean and unadulterated as Mrs LL’s rye - which we mill for bread flour. When I made that comment at the feedstore, I was told that it’s the same quality. It looks good enough for that to be true. :D

I believe “rye berries” is a term given to rye which has not been de-husked. This is good for our needs. On the other hand “Ryegrass” is the thin seed type used for lawns and pasture and is NOT what best-suits our needs.

If you’re shopping the feedstore, just ask for “untreated” rye grain seed; “It’s for my chickens, as I believe it adds to the eggs’ flavour when fed as a small percentage of their scratchings. I put it through my corn grinder for them.”
LL

likkerluvver

Postby DavidWatkins » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 am

I was just trying to be humorous, honest. I didn't mean to offend and I sincerely apologize if my words came off that way.

If you prefer to buy your malt, go for it. Odds are you are getting a better product that way and getting better conversion to boot. I always have to use a bit more homemade malt than one would expect because the original grains protein to carb ratio is not ideal or I don't get 100% malted. I'm just a tinkerer at heart and can't leave well enough alone when I see a chance to try something.

Next time I malt anything I'll take a ton of pictures and show what I'm doing over in the teach us section. Here in PA barley gets harvested in mid to late June so I'll be putting out feelers to the local farms about buying a couple bushels pretty soon.
DavidWatkins

Postby likkerluvver » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 am

DavidWatkins wrote:I was just trying to be humorous, honest. I didn't mean to offend and I sincerely apologize if my words came off that way.

The apologies to be made are mine.

When I am down to an average of little more than 1 hour of sleep per night, my memory, judgment, and sense of humour fly out the window. I guess I am wearing the title “RO” for a while. :cry:

- Note to self: Don't post when you're sleep deprived. :cry:

DavidWatkins wrote:If you prefer to buy your malt, go for it. Odds are you are getting a better product that way and getting better conversion to boot. I always have to use a bit more homemade malt than one would expect because the original grains protein to carb ratio is not ideal or I don't get 100% malted. I'm just a tinkerer at heart and can't leave well enough alone when I see a chance to try something.

But malting your own makes it even more home-made.
Any plans to grow your grain? That would be the ultimate in DIY. :rkn:

DavidWatkins wrote:Next time I malt anything I'll take a ton of pictures and show what I'm doing over in the teach us section. Here in PA barley gets harvested in mid to late June so I'll be putting out feelers to the local farms about buying a couple bushels pretty soon.

I look forward to seeing how you do it.
LL

likkerluvver

Next

Return to Find Stuff