• Advertisement

Potato Salad

Please share your favorites that you cook with your spirits or commercial stuff. We love alcohol flavored food.

Re: Potato Salad

Postby S-Cackalacky » Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Ha ha - the great potato salad debate. Who woulda thunk?
S-Cackalacky

Postby Rebel_Yell » Tue May 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Let me just say that being from the south.... the mayo to use is Blue Plate. Any other mayo will screw the recipe up... as far as I am concerned.
Your results may vary..
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad,
is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Rebel_Yell

Postby punkin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:58 pm

Never seen so many blokes with such strong views about salad. :)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Cap'n Canuck » Tue May 31, 2016 8:03 pm

Sorta ashamed to say it, but Mom's potato salad used Miracle Whip... Still tasty though..
Cap'n Canuck

Postby Tracker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:33 am

Just to create a bit of conversation incentive.

Any salad that incorporates store bought brand name dressings can not be called a proper salad.

There you go lads, take it from there and let her rip.

Cheers. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rkn:
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)
Various pot still/thumper configurations.
Bok 2" slant plate for neutral and cleaning up mistakes.

Postby S-Cackalacky » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:55 am

Only Pintoshine can make the rules here, so I reject your salad making rule.
S-Cackalacky

Postby just sayin' » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 am

Potatoes, eggs, onions, celery, salt, pepper and Hellman's mayo. My Mom didn't add mustard, vinegar or pickles. Still my favorite! Better the second day.
Hellman's is still my go to mayo, Duke's is a very close second. No thanks on the Miracle Whip. I never buy a bottled salad dressing to use on green salads. I like my own too much. I have made home made mayo and it is good, but Hellman's is good enough potato salad.
just sayin'

Postby punkin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 pm

S-Cackalacky wrote:Only Pintoshine can make the rules here, so I reject your salad making rule.

Absolutely S.

And in fact he's probably in breach of the 'because i said so' rule for suggesting it. :lol:

I even made a fucking salad myself last night. You guys have corrupted me.

satay1.jpg

Chinese cabbage, spring onions, chilli, celery, ground cashews, and crunchy noodles in a dressing of olive oil, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and palm sugar.

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:13 pm

Lol, Punkin. A hollandaise is kind of a special boundary case of the thing I'm talking about. With a little bit of acid, and a lot of whisking, the hollandaise works, for most people. What I'm talking about is where you add significantly more acid to the beaten egg, and all the egg's protein structure just kinda disappears, and all the stringy albumen just...dissolves. Then you cook that, what, deconstructed egg, even cooked indelicately (as opposed to hollandaise), you get a tart creamy thick liquid.

One of my favorite uses for it uses 2 eggs, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar. Cook till you get that nice thick creamy sauce. Cool it (so heat doesn't kill the mustard) and add last night's mixture of Coleman's mustard powder and water, at about the consistence of thick cream, until you get whatever kick you want. Add just a splash of catsup to make it kinda pink (habit at my house, but probably not necessary).

I love it when it's just pretty pungent on fried rice, and made to about the heat of hot horseradish, for fried chicken livers breaded in nutmeg flour until crisp.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Tracker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 pm

I knew you couldn't resist a poke but no need to make up rules on the run punkin.
Because I said so indeed :!:

Cheers.
Tracker

Equipment type: 50 litre keg, SD 2" to 4" torpedo with 2 bubble plates, Dephlegmator, Pot still arm, copper SPP and condenser.(Tracker Stacker Flavour Packer)

Postby punkin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Rule #1 buddy. :roflmao:

cuase.JPG

ForAVeryLongTimeItWasTheOnlyRulePunkin

punkin

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:38 am

I claim 'evidence of what I say is accurate' because my Mum assured me that it was the case. Who amongst you will dare to question my Mother.

So there.
Cheers.
Tracker

Postby punkin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:27 pm

Tracker wrote:I claim 'evidence of what I say is accurate' because my Mum assured me that it was the case. Who amongst you will dare to question my Mother.

So there.
Cheers.

Aaah i see. It's not because i said so, merely a bit of delayed Echolalia.

punkin

Postby Tracker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Apology accepted.

Cheers.
Tracker

Postby just sayin' » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:19 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Lol, Punkin. A hollandaise is kind of a special boundary case of the thing I'm talking about. With a little bit of acid, and a lot of whisking, the hollandaise works, for most people. What I'm talking about is where you add significantly more acid to the beaten egg, and all the egg's protein structure just kinda disappears, and all the stringy albumen just...dissolves. Then you cook that, what, deconstructed egg, even cooked indelicately (as opposed to hollandaise), you get a tart creamy thick liquid.

One of my favorite uses for it uses 2 eggs, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar. Cook till you get that nice thick creamy sauce. Cool it (so heat doesn't kill the mustard) and add last night's mixture of Coleman's mustard powder and water, at about the consistence of thick cream, until you get whatever kick you want. Add just a splash of catsup to make it kinda pink (habit at my house, but probably not necessary).

I love it when it's just pretty pungent on fried rice, and made to about the heat of hot horseradish, for fried chicken livers breaded in nutmeg flour until crisp.

Z-Bob,
Your recipe tempted me to action. I mixed it up this morning, amazing stuff! Just delicious , it is a keeper! Thanks much! It reminds me of a favorite local Amish dipping mustard, Herlocher's, I think it is made in State College, Pa.
Can you give us a little more detail on your Mom's potato salad dressing?
Still much interested in how the distillery is coming. Second book detailing your distillery journey? I hope, I hope, I hope!!!
Just Sayin'
just sayin'

PreviousNext

Return to Food