• Advertisement

Yeast Variation Observations

This is for the general discussion about the whole process end to end.

Yeast Variation Observations

Postby FredHIckory » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 am

I switched to an all grain bill and used Red Start Active Dry Yeast. My last runs were a unconverted grain and sugar mix using Distillers Yeast. Some observations:

1. Followed a published recipe for the grain and sugar mash and the recommended Yeast.
2. The last runs took about 2 weeks to complete the ferment.
3. The stripping run started at about 150 proof.
4. About half way through, the cuts became cloudy.

5. The all grain mash was also a published recipe.
6. The ferment with the Red Star took about 2.5-3 days.
7. The starting proof was only 100.
8. The run ran clear all the way through.

I've got some original and final SG numbers, but the difference was evident in the quantity of the different runs. The Active Yeast works harder, but can't take a high alcohol content. The taste is markedly different, the Red Star being better. But it's also comparing an all grain to an UJ mash.

I sourmashed another run with the spent grain from the all grain and added 6# sugar like the first runs I made. I used the Red Star again and got a 3 day ferment. It's sitting now for a run this weekend. I'll follow up with yield and taste info when complete.
FredHIckory

Equipment type: PSII Essential Oil Extractor 16 Gallon

Re: Yeast Variation Observations

Postby FredHIckory » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 pm

The next run came out very good with the Dry Yeast. A bit cidery, but that's due to the sugar. Not a bread smell, but something similar.

Mash ended up at 6.5% abv. acceptable and completed in just 3 days again and took it down to 0.995 after checking 2 days after that..

Running a 100% dry malt right now with the backset from the last run. Quick start on the yeast and very active. Expecting the same results. You can hear the yeast working when you get close to the fermenter.
FredHIckory

Postby FredHIckory » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:26 am

The 100% malt went well. I tried Fleischmann's yeast at first, but it was very slow to start, even after proving. Added the Red Star in also and it started right up. I messed up and didn't check the OG, but I got about 8 pints down to 20% ABV from a 6.5 gallon mash.

I hit the power a little hard and it boiled and puked at the start. First time for that. Puts you in panic mode, but settled it down.

Has a very malty taste and smell. Holding it back to blend with. Adds a lot to a corn or corn/sugar run. Problem is 9 pounds cost me $40. Won't be running dry malt very often.

Really liking the Red Star Dry Yeast. Quick ferment, cheap, and no off flavors I can tell. Seems to tolerate a decent alcohol level. I'm going to push it this weekend with a UJ mash to see how high I can get with the alcohol before it quits. I've read a few articles that Fleischmann's can hit 12.5%. 10% would be good for me.
FredHIckory

Postby just sayin' » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:09 am

Happy yeast make a tasty drink, get them too drunk and the little buggers will barf in your beer. Just like life is good when the wife is happy and booze is better when the yeast was happy!!! Just Sayin'
just sayin'

Postby S-Cackalacky » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:39 am

+1 on what JS said. Best to keep most washes at 10% ABV, or below - 8% being a good number to shoot for. Rum may be the exception to this rule-of-thumb.
S-Cackalacky

Postby FredHIckory » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 am

Thanks for the tip. Ended up with an OG of 1.069, so I am theoretically at less than 9% when it finishes.

I used 7# of sugar this time instead of 6#
8# of flaked corn and another 1# or so of flaked malted barley.
Red Star Dry Yeast again

Proved very well. Started Friday night and here it is Tuesday morning and it's still going. Has been 2-1/2 to 3 days to clear, but maybe the extra sugars are dragging it out. Going to run some Fleischmann's next round to see how it does.
FredHIckory

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

We do all of our barley malt fermentations with the Red Star bakers yeast, with an OG of about 1.070, and fermentation speeds with no additional nutrients are great tasting and incredibly fast at 82F, finished in 2-3 days. I'll never go back to brewers yeast for whiskey ferments again.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby punkin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 pm

I assume the weather is starting to cool off over there as it warms here. That will have a far greater effect on your fermentation times than the brand of yeast.

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Very true, and that's why we use aquarium heaters to keep our fermentations toasty.
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

Zymurgy Bob

Postby The Baker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Very true, and that's why we use aquarium heaters to keep our fermentations toasty.

Hi, Z Bob and all,

I also use aquarium heaters. But someone said they find they don't warm so well below the level of the heater itself, so here is my simple workaround (still not finished, not fermenting at the moment).
It uses improved convection to warm the liquid from below the heater that might not have warmed efficiently. Very high-tech!

I cut some old four-inch (I think) rainwater downpipe (plastic or nylon or something, the standard stuff) to rest on the bottom of the fermenter and come fairly close to the top.
Buy an end plug to fit on the bottom to prevent sludge entering the pipe.
With a drill and a big spade bit cut holes so that liquid can enter a bit above the likely sludge level.
Take a circular piece of plastic, whatever (possibly cut from an old bucket lid);
cut it (outside) to leave a gap for sinking convection current to fall at the outside of the fermentation vessel, not make a bee-line straight to the entry holes in the pipe (which would perhaps have left that outside area cooler).
cut it inside to make a press fit for the drainpipe and fit this baffle a bit above the entry holes you drilled.
Hang the heater normally but inside the pipe.

Voila!

Geoff
The Baker

Equipment type: Pot still

Postby Pikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:01 am

We get quite cold winters and I had a big ferment stop despite having aquarium heater in it. Never thought of the possible layering :doh: Thanks Geoff I'll give that a try this year :8)
Pikey

Postby The Baker » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks, Pikey, I love it when someone likes my ideas!

Geoff

P. S. I just thought of this:

If you cut the outside of the 'baffle' to fit fairly closely the inside of the vessel it would help support it in place.
Then you could cut holes around the edge with your spade bit

Depends a bit on the size of the opening at the top of the vessel, and on the flexibility of the baffle; in other words whether you could then get it in.

.... G
The Baker

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Great idea, Geoff. I've seen lately that simple convection wasn't giving me even heating, so you're just in time.

Zymurgy Bob

Postby Pikey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:24 pm

The Baker wrote:

.......If you cut the outside of the 'baffle' to fit fairly closely the inside of the vessel it would help support it in place.
Then you could cut holes around the edge with your spade bit...........

I use those 220 litre olive barrels for my big ferments -[Edit That stuck one sat from October until April before it started up again] But now you've given me the idea - I'll Bodge something up :8)

The Baker wrote:Depends a bit on the size of the opening at the top of the vessel, and on the flexibility of the baffle; in other words whether you could then get it in.

.... G

"Shades of Grey ....? " :wink:
Pikey

Postby The Baker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 am

Zymurgy Bob wrote:Great idea, Geoff. I've seen lately that simple convection wasn't giving me even heating, so you're just in time.

Thanks, Z Bob,
An accolade from the master!

Geoff
The Baker

Next

Return to Mash, Ferment, & Distill