• Advertisement

Fully Adjustable/Leveling Kettle Frame

Parrot's beaks, burners, measuring instruments, glassware, and anything but a still goes here.

Fully Adjustable/Leveling Kettle Frame

Postby NineInchNails » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 pm

I've been trying to design a versatile frame to hold a keg/kettle and came up with this.

Materials:
1" square steel tubing
2-1/2" steel strap
Three 3/4" threaded rod couplings
3' of 3/4" threaded rod
Three 3/4" nuts

Each piece of 1" tubing is 25-3/4" long and has a 60° cut on each end so they fit together perfectly to create a triangle. The steel strap will be rolled/bent to create a ring that is 16" ID.

I took a drawing to the local fabricator and they quoted me approx $41.00 for just the steel. They work for $68.00 per hour so the total with labor would be approx $109.00

I purchased the threaded rod couplings from the local Ace Hardware store for just a couple bucks each. Be SURE that threaded rod can be screwed completely through the coupling and not just half way because some do. Without the nuts the threaded rod is slightly loose/wobbly inside the coupling. The 3/4" nuts lock the threaded rod ROCK solid inside the couplings even when just finger tight.

What I like about this design is that it allows for easy leveling adjustment of the column and height adjustment.

I decided to just let the local shop cut & weld it up for me. They said that they should be able to get to it by the end of this week if not by the 1st of next week.

I'll likely be using a Banjo Burner attached to a small frame to slide under this boiler base.
NineInchNails

Equipment type: .
3" Stainless VM (5' column)
3" Stainless Pot Still

Re: Fully Adjustable/Leveling Kettle Frame

Postby Azframer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 pm

I think maybe put some flat plate so if you go outside with it it does not sink in dirt if no concrete surface. And crank handles like what is on C clamps or pipe clamps for ease of leveling?
Friends call me Rick
Drank all night and I am still thirsty!
But I don't feel like I got to much blood in my alcyhol.
Azframer

Equipment type: 5 Gallon Pot Still, Dash1

Postby punkin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:08 am

Or you could just buy the leveling feet and push them into the RHS.... :roll:

These ones are on the stand my big fermenter sits on when i use it, they self level and then are adjusted on screws like your design.

stand1.jpg
stand1.jpg (122.49 KiB) Viewed 12950 times

I have the same thing on my three legged boiler stands, you can sorta see em in this pic...

boiler9.jpg
boiler9.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 12954 times

They come in a heap of different sizes to push into different RHS or pipe, and different weight ratings. The flat feet are mounted in a ball so they self level, and then you adjust the threaded nut and lock it in with the locknut. They're only a few bucks each and are much smarter looking than homemadies. :8)

The three legs are the go for sure, makes it easy to use a level on the column and adjust when nessercary.

By the way, old wheel rims from the tip hold kegs perfectly :8)

Identified Shit Stirrer, upgraded to sociopath.

To the fashionable nationalists

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Manback » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:28 am

+1 on A-Justa-Feet, you won't regret it, so easily taken care of too :8)
"Stilling is like sex" - Rebel Yell
Manback

Equipment type: 2" POS

Postby NineInchNails » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 am

The A-Justa-Foot is a good idea for leveling to ensure a sound platform. I am making this rig primarily for height adjustment and leveling combined. I like the versatility of allowing this thing to damn near sit flat to the foor or anywhere up to a foot high or higher depending on the length of threaded rod.

I haven't put a lot of thought into what I'll be using as a foot pad yet, but the first thing that came to mind is a rubber cane foot/bumper or something like that. If I could find a few feet that pivot I could install them on one end of the threaded rod even if I have to drill out the center and tap some threads.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby punkin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:39 pm

If that is your goal then you can easily acheive it with the feet.

Each size of rhs fits inside the next size above it. If you were to put your adjusta feet in a piece of 1" rhs, then you could have this sliding in a small piece of 1-1/4" rhs thats welded to your rim or frame. A series of holes drilled every few inches in the 1" sections and a coresponding hole drilled in the 1-1/4' bracket with a pin to go through. Minor levelling adjustments on the adjusta feet.

It'll take you a month to wind three threads a foot.

PlusYou'reArmsWillFallOffPunkin

http://www.stilldragon.com.au for all your distilling needs in Australia and New Zealand
punkin

Postby Azframer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:52 pm

NineInchNails wrote:The A-Justa-Foot is a good idea for leveling to ensure a sound platform. I am making this rig primarily for height adjustment and leveling combined. I like the versatility of allowing this thing to damn near sit flat to the foor or anywhere up to a foot high or higher depending on the length of threaded rod.

I haven't put a lot of thought into what I'll be using as a foot pad yet, but the first thing that came to mind is a rubber cane foot/bumper or something like that. If I could find a few feet that pivot I could install them on one end of the threaded rod even if I have to drill out the center and tap some threads.

You could grind a grove in the threaded rod say 1/2" up and round off bottom. Take a end cap that would fit over that with notches bend upper part into groove. Then braze feet to that. That way threaded rod could spin without much fuss. Basically you would be making a cup like what is on a C-clamp
Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby NineInchNails » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 pm

I just picked up the boiler base today and will be painting it tomorrow.

NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby Azframer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Should have rounded the corners, look like some shin busters to me. Just go ahead and yell SON-OF-A-BITCH. cause you are gonna do it.
Edit+ damn its gonna hurt and bet it leaves a mark too!
Friends call me Rick
Azframer

Postby Mud » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:38 pm

punkin wrote:PlusYou'reArmsWillFallOffPunkin

You're a funny bastard, Punkin. :lol:
Specialization is for Kiwi.
Artisan Distilling Book
Mud

Equipment type: Keg based pot - sometimes propane powered but mostly electric

Postby msh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:44 pm

I like the sharp edges and triangle shape. It screams, "I'M DANGEROUS" like a fighter plane. I'm sure the government is already taking notes on it in case it turns out you're making a WMD.
msh

Equipment type: 6 gallon pot still
5 gallon plastic bucket
large spoon with handle that's too short.

Postby punkin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Looks i bit goth to me. :)

I'm sure a flat side will face forward, lessening the shin risk and allowig somewhere for the fallen off arm to land in the dirt. :D

LookingGoodSoFarPunkin

punkin

Postby NineInchNails » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks guys. I like it so far. It's absolutely rock solid. I propped the frame up on some blocks, jumped up & down on it and the frame doesn't flex a bit. I was a little worried before because I had some 1" tubing lying around, I propped one piece up (approx 26" long), stood on it and it did flex when I bounced on it. Looks like the combination of the 3 pieces made it rock solid & 3 times more sturdy.

I ran some threaded rod through each of the couplings to see if the couplings were 'heat warped' at all from the welding. I did notice some resistance , but it wasn't that bad. No big deal, I just ran a 3/4" thread tap through it a few times and now the threaded rod passes through freely.

The painting is finished so it looks real medieval now :D I just used flat black BBQ grill paint. I'll post the pics when I can. Just after painting it someone told me that I could have had it powder coated at no cost!
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:10 pm

I just picked up 3' of 3/4" threaded rod and cut it into three 12" pieces. I also picked up three 1/2" PVC caps to screw onto the bottom of the threaded rod/legs. While the threads do not match it still threads in there straight and very firm.

NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Postby NineInchNails » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 pm

While I was at the hardware store the other day I saw what looked like replacement handles for gate valves of all different sizes for just a couple bucks each. I checked the hardware store's website, but couldn't locate the exact item, but it looks similar to this:

I say "similar" because the ones I found had had more material surrounding the square center hole than the one in the pic has. I thought about buying a few of these, drilling the center hole out to the appropriate diameter and tapping some threads. I could then screw it onto the top of the legs and use some Loctite so they wouldn't want to come off.

That or some other type of 'wheel handle'. It's not necessary because the rod turns very easily when the locking nut is loose, but it should help.
NineInchNails

3" Stainless Pot Still

Next

Return to Accessories