• Advertisement

Spider web on top of ferment.

If you are putting something to distill, drink or eat that you don't know where to put it, then put it here. Let us help you decide.

Re: Spider web on top of ferment.

Postby sugarcreek » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellicle. See also: sanitize

What kind of wash is it and how long has it been fermenting, in what container, and at what temp. I'd go ahead an run it. It's unlikely to kill you.
What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? ~Jack Handey
sugarcreek

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 pm

What we can be really sure of is that it won't kill you, Sugar. :roflmao:
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Postby Kapea » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm

bigwheel wrote:I am slowly getting the pic here so to speak. It just that there is most likely some in the crowd who aint taste oriented consewers. For an example folks from Tejas tend to drink Red Eye from a dirty glass..Just like John Wayne :rkn: and chase it down with a hot Lonestar. Manly men drink for the buzz in other words..lol.

Sounds like your latest ferment is right on track. :D
Kapea

Equipment type: 50mm x 1250mm copper & stainless VM column
50mm copper & stainless pot still
Modular multi-plate 4" bubbler

Postby Swede » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:47 pm

I had this happen to a batch of uj (first gen, not fully soured yet) and I ran it. It was fine.

One thing that I've noticed, the properly soured uj washes never get infections, it's only new washes or unsoured grain washes that get infected. There must be something good about having a nicely acidified wash that keeps the nasties out. I don't even have proper airlocks or bubblers on my fermenters, they are covered, but technically there are pathways for air and nasties to get in if they really wanted to.
Swede

Equipment type: 9000w 30gal electric double boiler with jacket generated direct steam injection/PWM controller with PID temp control for automated shutdown, column temp monitoring, and mash-in-pot, 4" Stainless 4 Tray bubble cap/wier type downcomer column

Postby Zymurgy Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:12 am

Swede wrote:There must be something good about having a nicely acidified wash that keeps the nasties out.

Yup, and it also works for cheese, sauerkraut, yogurt, old-fashioned pickles, kimchee, salami, Pint's lacto-soured corn, and Arctic Shine's fermented beluga blubber. It's not always just the lower pH that works; often the "winning"organism produces competitive compounds that suppress or kill the other bugs. You just hope your favorite bug wins. :D
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob- ... e-spirits/

You can make whisky in a reflux still, you can make vodka in a potstill,
and you can eat chicken noodle soup with a crescent wrench. But...
Zymurgy Bob

Equipment type: 60L unpacked 20"x2", propane, with Liebig

Return to Miscellaneous